And other bike tourists – Liz & Todd, you can find their blog here. We met them as Sergio was fixing Winona’s flat, her first, caused by more tire wire.
In total, we’ve completed 1,772 miles or 39% of our total ride. We have 515 miles or so until the halfway point in Missouri.
What we’ve learned so far:
- Keep mouth closed at all times
- There is 10x more roadkill than you see from a car
- When you count miles, they go slower
- Semis are generally crazy drivers
- Always scan for dogs
- Eat every 30 minutes (6 miles or so)
- Descents aren’t always downhills
- Salt intake is key for hydration
- Liquor laws don’t make sense
- Triple check all Garmin routes
- Using the outside ladies room (squatting) is very difficult on long days with sore legs
- DQ is in every small Texas town